Call for Committee Members
We are taking nominations and applications for our new Government Relations Committee. We are looking for committee members who:
- Have an interest in politics.
- Are generally familiar with the legislative process or willing to learn.
- Are consensus-builders who understand the importance of coalition building.
- Have time to dedicate to Committee activities.
- Have a desire and drive to promote private lending issues to legislatures.
Please complete the following three-minute application. Our staff reviews each application to ensure it meets our committee guidelines. This may include discussion with appropriate members. If you have any questions, please contact us.
The following is a general outline of responsibilities and expectations for Government Relations Committee Members. Based on your company’s location or where you primarily do business, you’ll be assigned to a region consisting of several states.
Please contact us for more information.
- Within your assigned region: watch for, track and alert AAPL staff/Committee to state legislation that affects Private Lenders.
- Work with AAPL and GRC to prioritize, strategize and execute federal and state advocacy efforts, including:
- Grassroots call, email and snail-mail campaigns
- Donations to legislator and/or cause campaigns
- Public relations with local and national media
- Coordination with ally associations, PACs, etc.
- Chair sub-committees for your region’s efforts as needed
- Sit on sub-committees for other regional GRC member’s efforts as needed
- Other strategies as needed/developed
- Attend monthly GRC conference calls.
- Lead quarterly Legislative Town Hall meetings (Q1, Q2, Q3 are online; the Annual Town Hall is in person at AAPL’s annual conference) in conjunction with GRC and AAPL staff to:
- Provide updates on the GRC’s and your region’s actions and outcomes
- Answer questions from AAPL members
- Listen to comments/feedback from AAPL members
Next: Have you taken the 2019 Legislative Priorities Survey?
This survey is how we set our annual legislative priorities. If you want a voice in the conversation, now is the time to speak up!